Monday, December 5, 2011

Finding Advent and Eucharist in Music

On Saturday here at Assisi House, we enjoyed a beautiful concert before Mass by the Blue and Gray--the St. James High School Alumni Choir. St. James was a boys' high school in Chester, Pennsylvania, which closed a number of years ago. Their alumni choir, however, is a very active group which uses their music ministry to raise funds for a number of wonderful causes.

One of the hymns they sang before Mass was one of my favorites--"Holy Darkness." Ironically I've always thought of it as a Lenten hymn (and the video below does reinforce that idea) but when I heard it on Saturday, it struck me as very appropriate for Advent. Maybe it's just this year when darkenss an d the awareness of answers and outcomes being hidden that makes it seem particularly meaningful. Even the line "As we await you, O God of Silence, we await your holy night," seems particularly Advent-themed. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/DVZNtOJiZ9M

The choir also sang during Mass. At Communion they sang "In Remembrance of Me." The words seened to strike me more forcibly than I've experienced before with that hymn--that the idea of Eucharist extends far beyond the liturgy, reaching to the way we relate to others and to the world around us. This, I think, is how we live the idea of Eucharist, making it not just a particular moment in the Eucharistic liturgy but a way of life lived in relationship. Now what's that if not Franciscan! I couldn't find the hymn with accompanying lyrics but I think the words are clear enough.

http://youtu.be/5NzArxw2Vl8 

1 comment:

betty said...

I do not know this hymn but after listening to it, I think that it is appropriate for Holy Night and Holy Saturday. Both nights fulfill the prophecies and bring light to our souls.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...